NDIS resources

The NDIS has produced a number of fact sheets and other resources to guide you through the NDIS process.

Some of these can be found on the NDIS’ Factsheets and Publications page; others are mentioned in this kit and for some, you will need to use the NDIS website search engine.

An outline of the NDIS process can be found on their website.

This factsheet and checklist are two resources that can help you think about and develop your NDIS Plan.

Sometimes when looking for NDIS resources it’s better to use Google search engine than the NDIS search engine.

Other useful resources

  • ‘A Guide to Engaging Your Own Support Workers’ (My Place WA), provides information about the things you need to think about if you want to self-manage your plan or parts of your plan and a process for working out which management option best suits you.
  • ‘Guide for Mental Health Carers’ (CarersNSW) provides information for people who provide care and support for people with a psychosocial disability
  • Consumer rights provides information about your rights when purchasing goods and services.
  • NDIS Grassroots Discussion Facebook Page. This is a closed group, for people with disabilities, family members and supporters to discuss the NDIS.

Advocacy services

People with Disability Australia Inc (PWDA)

PWDA provides individual and systemic advocacy for all people with disability living in NSW.

Address: Tower 1, Level 10, 1 Lawson Square REDFERN, NSW 2016
Telephone: 1800 422 015
Fax: (02) 9318 1372
TTY: (02) 9318 2138
Website: www.pwd.org.au

Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association of NSW Inc

MDAA provides individual and systemic advocacy for NSW people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. MDAA has multiple offices in Sydney and NSW, so contact them for other locations.

Address: 10-12 Hutchinson Street GRANVILLE, NSW 2142
Telephone: 1800 629 072
Fax: (02) 9897 9402

Indigenous Disability Advocacy Service (IDAS)

IDAS provides individual and systemic advocacy for people with disability from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community living in the Blue Mountains and Sydney areas.

Address: 127 Lethbridge Street PENRITH, NSW 2750
Telephone: (02) 4722 3524
Fax: (02) 4722 6126

Mental Health Advocacy Service (Legal Aid NSW)

The Mental Health Advocacy Service (MHAS) is a statewide specialist service of Legal Aid NSW and provides free legal information, advice and assistance about mental health law.

Address: 74-76 Burwood Road BURWOOD, NSW
Telephone: (02) 9745 4277

Legal services

Central Sydney Legal Aid Office

Legal Aid NSW helps people with their legal problems. Our legal services include legal advice, help at court and family dispute resolution. We can help in most areas of criminal law, family law and civil law.
Address: 323 Castlereagh Street HAYMARKET, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9219 5000
Fax: (02) 9219 5935
TTY: (02) 9219 5126

Australian Centre for Disability Law

The Australian Centre for Disability Law promotes and protects the human and legal rights of people with disability and their supporters through legal advocacy. They do this by providing free legal advice and representing in disability discrimination cases.
Telephone: (02) 9370 3135
Toll free: 1800 800 708
TTY: 1800 644 419

The NSW Bar Association Legal Assistance Referral Scheme

The Bar Association’s Legal Assistance Referral Scheme (LARS) tries to match your request for legal assistance with a barrister or mediator who may be able to give advice, appear for you or settle your legal issue. Means and merits tests applied. Application form and supporting documents required.

Address: Selborne Chambers 174 Phillip St, Sydney NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9232 4055
Fax: (02) 9221 1149

Justice Connect

Justice Connect matches organisations and individuals who are ineligible for legal aid and cannot afford a lawyer, to lawyers and barristers willing to act on a pro bono basis.

Address: GPO Box 436 DARLINGHURST, NSW 1300
Telephone: Legal Inquiries: (02) 8599 2100
Self Representation Service: 1800 727 550
Fax: (02) 8599 2105

Community Legal Centres

Community Legal Centres are independent community organisations that provide free legal advice and related services to people and communities facing economic, social or cultural disadvantage. The find the one closest to you contact Community Legal Centres NSW.

Address: Suite 805, Level 8, 28 Foveaux Street SURRY HILLS, NSW 2010
Phone: (02) 9212 7333
Fax: (02) 9212 7332

Law Society of NSW

The Law Society’s Pro Bono Scheme can put you in contact with law firms willing to provide their legal services for free or for reduced fees. This assistance can include legal advice, help with preparing documentation and representation in court. Means and merits tests apply.

Address: Lower Ground Floor, 170 Phillip Street SYDNEY, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9926 0364
Fax: (02) 9231 5809

Homeless Persons’ Legal Service

HPLS provides free legal assistance to, and advocacy on behalf of, people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Legal services are provided by pro bono lawyers at crisis accommodation centres and welfare agencies.

Address: Level 7, 173-175 Phillip St SYDNEY, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 8898 6500
Fax: (02) 8898 6555

Online legal services


Provides information, advice and fact sheets on a range of legal matters, can also refer individuals to Legal Aid. Phone 1300888529.


A section of the LawAccess Online website providing information for people who are representing themselves in Tribunals and courts.

The Law Handbook (NSW)

A resource available online and can support you in your own legal research in various areas of law.

Legal Information Access Centre

A specialist information service of the State Library of NSW, which provides information about the law for all members of the community in NSW via Find Legal Answers website, public libraries, and by working in partnership with key legal sector agencies.

Find Legal Answers

A service that can be accessed online or through your local library. You can also ask a Librarian direct in person, online at www.sl.nsw.gov.au/research-and-collections/ask-librarian or by phone on (02) 9273 1414 to help you find the right resource.

Complaint bodies

National Disability Insurance Agency

Contact the NDIA initially if you have a complaint about a service provider or a complaint about them.

Telephone: 1800 800 110

Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman investigates complaints from people who believe they have been treated unfairly or unreasonably by an Australian Government agency.

Telephone: 1300 362 072
Indigenous Line: 1800 060 789

NSW Fair Trading

NSW Fair Trading safeguards the rights of all consumers and advises business and traders on fair and ethical practice. You can make complaints about goods or services you purchase that are not satisfactory.

Telephone: 13 32 20
TTY: 1300 723 404

NSW Ombudsman

The NSW Ombudsman is an independent and impartial watchdog that watches over most NSW public sector agencies and their staff, and some not-for-profit and private sector agencies and their staff. Their role is to make sure these agencies and their staff do their jobs properly and meet their responsibilities to the community.

Telephone: (02) 9286 1000
Toll free (outside Sydney metro): 1800 451 524
Fax: (02) 9283 2911

Health Care Complaints Commission

The Health Care Complaints Commission acts to protect public health and safety by dealing with complaints about health service providers in NSW.

Telephone: (02) 9219 7444
Toll free: 1800 0430 159
TTY: 02 9219 7555
Fax: (02) 9281 4585

Sample Service Agreement

A Service Agreement is a useful document outlining the tasks to be performed by a supports provider. A sample Service Agreement is provided here and can be adapted to your particular needs.

Self-managing my supports

Choosing the Self-management option means that you will be responsible for all aspects of engaging your support providers, managing them, paying them and any other activities required by the NDIS. The flexibility means that you can either employ your registered or unregistered support providers directly, or you can elect to contract another provider to do this for you.

The following information provides a guide to many of the responsibilities you will need to take into consideration in self-managing your supports.